Within 1 hour of sharing session, we had discussed about the whole story of irregular menstruation.
It is such common female issue,until frequently neglected by many women. However, it can be a serious case thus proper diet and lifestyle are rather important not only for relieving the abnormal period ,but also considering for own future.
**Even though I am representing the company on live, the live content is informative and helpful for every woman without commercial purpose.**
How does a normal period look like? What kind of condition is considered as irregular period?
Average period cycle is 28 days which calculated from the first day having menstrual bleeding. It is still normal if the period cycle lasts 21 days, or longer till 35 days. The period that happens different with usual periods is considered irregular period. Irregular period may presented with these symptoms :
- Prolonged period: Period lasts longer than 7 days
- Abnormal period cycle: Less than 21 days or more than 35 days
- Only have little dots of bleeding or less than 2 days of period
- Too much bleeding until frequently change the sanitary pads or even having dizzy symptoms
- Colour: Pale pink or dark brown colour
- Period pain
What are the reasons causing irregular period?
- Endocrine disorders such as polycystic ovary syndrome, hypo- or hyperthyroidism, hyperandrogenism and hyperprolactinemia
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Psychological matter
- Poor diet and/or over aggressive physical activity
- Medication such as antidepressants, contraceptive pills/device
- Chronic liver disease, tuberculosis
- Presence of cyst / fibroid / Inflammation
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is one of the cause leading to irregular period. It is a hormonal disorder, which contains small, fluid filled sacs called cysts in the ovaries. Due to high level of androgen (male hormone) in the body, she may experience excess facial and body hair, severe acne and overweight/obesity as well. The exact cause of PCOS is unknown. Apart from receiving medical treatment from doctor, she is required to maintain proper healthy diet and lifestyle.Endocrine Abnormalities in Adolescents with Menstrual Disorders. Rajiwade et al. 2018
What are the consequences of irregular periods?
- Infertility: Ovulation does not happen regularly
- Poor skin condition
What can we do to improve the condition?
- Maintain healthy weight status (BMI <25)
- Balanced meal with regular mealtime
- For women who experience period pain, encourage intake of calcium-rich food (dairy products, soft bone) and omega 3 rich food (deep sea fish, nuts and seeds)
- Encourage fruits and vegetables intake
- Reduce intake of processed food, refined food and fried food
- May avoid “cold” food such as cold beverages, soft drink, tea, coffee and alcohol
- Ginger is proven that can relieve the period pain and bloating issue
- Practice stress-relieving : listen to music, massage, gathering with friends and families
- Lymphatic massage
Last but not least, women is discouraged to undergo medical check up while menstruation to prevent inaccurate result.
- The prevalence and impacts heavy menstrual bleeding on anemia, fatigue and quality of life in women of reproductive age. Kocaoz et al. 2019
- Endocrine Abnormalities in Adolescents with Menstrual Disorders. Rajiwade et al. 2018
- Menstrual Disorders. American Family Physician
- Severe anemia from heavy menstrual bleeding requires heightened attention. Nelson et al. 2015